The Bottom Line
- Provides about fifteen-foot diameter protection. Works very well, even in the worst conditions.
- One refill lasts about twelve hours; Easy to use.
- Repels Mosquitoes and flies (such as black flies).
- The bottom cap kept falling off, and got lost (ThermaCELL replaced it).
- When it runs dry, you're hosed without a refill.
- Portable cordless mosquito repellent "appliance."
- Uses a butane cartridge to heat up mosquito repellent mats.
- Electronic ignition means it lights like a gas grill or Aim-n-Flame - kind of noisy, but dependable.
Guide Review - ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Appliance
I have to admit, I was skeptical about this product at first, but it was vouched for by someone who had used it in the skeeter-filled swamp where I'd tested the Bug Tamer, so I knew it was worth a try. The results exceeded my expectations by far.
In the worst conditions, I was surrounded by a black cloud of buzzing, biting torment. Twenty minutes after turning on the ThermaCELL and taping it to my stand, that cloud was gone. Every now and then a skeeter would fly in, but she'd be sluggish and would leave before long.
Buster at Jerry's Indoor Archery done good when he told me about this, and he was right - I won't hunt in skeeter country again without my ThermaCELL. Give it a try if the bugs are thick where you hunt - you won't be disappointed with its effectiveness.
- Russ Chastain