The Bottom Line
This little item is great for anyone who wants to enjoy being outdoors without being bled dry by mosquitoes. It ain't cheap, but it does what it claims, and when you're surrounded by a cloud of skeeters that threaten your very existence, it's worth its weight in gold.
- Provides about fifteen-foot diameter protection. Works very well, even in the worst conditions.
- One refill lasts about twelve hours; Easy to use.
- Repels Mosquitoes and flies (such as black flies).
- The bottom cap kept falling off, and got lost (ThermaCELL replaced it).
- When it runs dry, you're hosed without a refill.
- Portable cordless mosquito repellent "appliance."
- Uses a butane cartridge to heat up mosquito repellent mats.
- Electronic ignition means it lights like a gas grill or Aim-n-Flame - kind of noisy, but dependable.
Guide Review - ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Appliance
The Only Way to Fly
I have to admit, I was skeptical about this product at first, but it was vouched for by someone who had used it in the skeeter-filled swamp where I'd tested the Bug Tamer, so I knew it was worth a try. The results exceeded my expectations by far.
In the worst conditions, I was surrounded by a black cloud of buzzing, biting torment. Twenty minutes after turning on the ThermaCELL and taping it to my stand, that cloud was gone. Every now and then a skeeter would fly in, but she'd be sluggish and would leave before long.
Buster at Jerry's Indoor Archery done good when he told me about this, and he was right - I won't hunt in skeeter country again without my ThermaCELL. Give it a try if the bugs are thick where you hunt - you won't be disappointed with its effectiveness.
- Russ Chastain