I approached the project a bit randomly... I would find a problem and deal with it, then move on to another, until the job was completed. Most of the time I didn't do the work in any particular order. This time, I began with the firing pin. It may be worth noting that at this stage, I hadn't received any new parts or items for this specific project; I was just working with what I had on hand.
As you can see in the photo, the tip of the firing pin was bent. It was also pretty dang soft and easy to straighten - which bothered me, because its job is to clobber metal primers with enough force to crush them and thus cause ignition of the powder in a cartridge.
Once I had the rifle built and was only lacking finish work on the stock, I took it to the range. While there, I experienced some misfires due to light primer strikes, so off to eBay I went, and there I purchased a nice used firing pin for the old gal. After installing it, I had no more problems with misfires.
More of This Article
About This Mauser