To my everlasting delight, I was given this rifle - for free. Sadly, it turned out to be worth just about as much as I'd paid for it - but it offered a golden opportunity to explore rifle building and gunsmithing farther than I'd done in the past, and I jumped in with much consideration and enthusiasm.
When I was given the rifle by an old family friend, I was told that the rifle's barrel was shot out and needed to be replaced. Being an optimist, I decided to doubt that assessment, and began entertaining visions of cutting down the long 29-inch barrel to do a simple and easy sporterization of the old clunker. So I began cleaning the bore.
Cleaning the Bore
I used a series of products from Sharp Shoot R Inc. to clean the bore, and they did an exceptional job of removing ages of rust and black crud. The problem was that the bore kept growing!
As I removed more and more crud, I kept having to move to larger brushes to get good contact with the bore. I lied to myself and claimed that the copper solvent was simply eating away my brushes' bristles... and staunchly ignored the fact that I kept having to move to larger patch jags, too. Discarding the facts, I kept cleaning until there was no more crud hidden in the deep rifling, and my patches came out nice and clean every time.
Then I took the rifle out to shoot it.
More of This Article
- Page 1: Introduction and Overview; Right Side of Rifle
- Page 2: Shooting the Rifle; Left Side
- Page 3: Assessing the Project; Top of Rifle
- Page 4: Rear Sight, Closed
- Page 5: Rear Sight, Open
- Page 6: Front Sight and Muzzle
- Page 7: Receiver Stamping, Ready to Start Rebuilding
About This Mauser
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 1: Before I Began Gunsmithing
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 2: Beginning The Work
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 3: More Gunsmithing Work
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 4: Modifying the Bolt Handle
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 5: Jeweling Bolt, Modifying Shroud
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 6: Shaping Trigger Guard, Finishing Chamber
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 7: Bedding Action, Fitting and Finishing Stock
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 8: Finishing the Metal Parts
- Spanish 93 Mauser Article 9: Conclusion, Finished Rifle, Tools and Materials