The Bottom Line
- Made in USA (of Canadian sheepskin).
- 30 day money-back guarantee.
- Sheepskin gets into narrow areas where a piece of cloth can't reach.
- Silicone protects and shines your gun's metal parts.
- Will dry out after a while, and require re-wetting with silicone.
- The bottom blew out of the plastic bag containing my Rifle/Shotgun "rag."
- Silicone-impregnated sheepskin for wiping down your guns.
- Comes in two sizes: Pistol (2"x5") and Rifle/Shotgun (5"x5").
- Packaged in a Ziploc-type bag which also includes a flannel cloth.
- The flannel cloth is "approximately 10 inches by 10 inches" (mine measures a little smaller).
- Cost: $9.25 for Pistol size, and $10.25 for Rifle/Shotgun size. Might as well buy the bigger one.
Guide Review - Rusty's Rags Sheepskin Silicone Gun Cleaning Cloth
Latham Doxey's Rusty's Rags product is kind of a new twist on that old wiper. When it arrives, each Rusty's Rag is well wet with a proprietary silicone blend, and does fine for wiping down a gun. In fact, it almost does too well.
Too well? Not really... but the first time or two I used it, it left a bit too much silicone on the gun. That's no problem, because the Ziploc-type bag that contains the "rag" also contains a flannel cloth, which can be used to remove the excess.
Although it's called a gun cleaning cloth, it's not made of cloth and I wouldn't use it for cleaning. When a product like this costs more than ten bucks, I don't consider it disposable enough to get it all nasty with powder residue. But that's an individual decision - it's your money, spend it however you see fit.
The bottom seam didn't hold on the plastic bag containing my larger "rag," so I had to put it in my own bag. Slightly disappointing, but not a big problem.
All in all, a Rusty's Rag makes a great wiper-downer, and it will reach into the cracks and crevices that a flannel cloth won't.
Since I originally published this article, Rusty's Rags has begun offering "Rusty's Signature Silicone Gun Oil," which can be used to rejuvenate your Rusty's Rag. I need to get me some of that.
- Russ Chastain